La Candelaria Church

La Candelaria Church - Punta del Este

La Candelaria Church

Two chapels were built on the land where today is located La Candelaria Church. In 1903 the Junta Económica Administrativa was asked by father Lorenzo A. Pons to donate the lands A and B from the Block 69 with the purpose of building a temple. In the first blueprint, designed by the Medhurst Thomas, the chapel did not exceed the 37 m2. It was inaugurated in 1911 and financed by the contributions of the church goers and benefits. The renovation that covered 200 mts with the gable roof and bell tower as we know today began in May 1921 and was inaugurated in February 1922. In 1941 one hundred rich families were asked for $100 with the purpose of restoring the church. A great part of the old church was demolished and only the façade and the bell tower were preserved. The 18mt x 10mts nave was built under arq Antonio Chiarino directions and inaugurated January 31st of 1942. The current archs and pillars were built in 1947 and in 1950 was put the polished monolithic designed by Antonio Meneghin.



Share
fd BdCompartir
Vote
fd BdCompartir
Follow us

Uruguay

Punta del Este

Articles